Smart student loans

Flexible repayments over
1 to 5 years.

Apply online for your free loan quote - it won't affect your credit score.

Get a free quote

Apply online for your free loan quote - it won't affect your credit score.

Get a free quote

Apply online for your free loan quote - it won't affect your credit score.

Get a free quote

When Government Student Finance Is Not Enough

The UK government provides great student loans for students pursuing higher education in the UK.  Student Finance England offer by the government includes Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants. Repayment of government loans are income based and you do not need to make repayments until you have a minimum income of £21,000 per year.

When Government Student Finance Is Not Enough

The UK government provides great support for students pursuing higher education in the UK. Student Finance England offer by the government includes Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants. Repayment of government loans are income based and you do not need to make repayments until you have a minimum income of £21,000 per year.

Tuition Fee Loans

You can apply for up to £9,000 to cover your tuition cost per year for an undergraduate degree at a UK university. Currently postgraduate students can’t avail of this, however it is said that tuition fee loans of up to £10,000 will be made available from 2016/17. Tuition fee funds will be disbursed directly to your university in installments.

Maintenance Loans / Grants

Maintenance loans help you cover your living costs while studying. The amount you can apply for depends on your situation, e.g. if you are living with your parents, in student housing or if you are studying abroad. Maintenance loans are being disbursed directly to yourself, usually in 3 installments. Furthermore, you can apply for maintenance grants, the difference being is that you don’t need to pay the grant back. Note: Receiving a maintenance grant means that the government will reduce the amount of maintenance loan you can request.

Sounds Great, Doesn't It?

Without a doubt government aid should be the first stop for students in need of financial help. An article by the Telegraph suggests that half of students run out of money before their next student finance payment hits their account. In actual fact, 1 in 6 students have spent their loan within the first month of attending university. This can be due to poor financial management from the student themselves and shows how important it is to budget your income and expenses. However, not everything can be blamed on a lack of financial knowledge. We all know that studying can be very expensive, especially when you are living in a city where rent prices are going through the roof, or when you are simply not eligible for government aid (e.g. second-degree students, international students, etc).

We Are Here To Help

28% of students worry that they are not able to finish their degree due to financial issues. We think that money issues shouldn't hold anyone back from pursuing their higher education. With Future Finance you can apply for that little bit of extra help you might need to cover your tuition fees and living expenses while studying. We are the first private student finance provider in the UK and our loans are designed with the student lifestyle in mind. Visit our website or FAQ section to find out more about our rates, eligibility and application process.

Long Story Short…

Please apply for government student finance first and make sure to set a realistic budget for your installments. However don’t get your head stuck into the sand if you have financial problems. There are options available that you can make use of. As Benjamin Franklin said:

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”

You may also like:

If you have any questions regarding our product visit our website, email us or call us at +44 (0) 20 3743 8700

16 comments

I appreciate you effort,
I am a Tanzanian can I have a loan too.

Hi Evans,

I replied to you via email a while back, but encase you didn’t receive it, or have any other additional questions, you can reply here.

Encase anyone else has the same question: Yes, international students are eligible to apply, though we do require a UK guarantor in these cases.

Kind Regards,
Darren

Hello I need to raise some money for my 1st year of uni, but am lacking the £9,000 can I apply with bad credit, as in I don’t have any credit history???

Hi James,

We have a lot of applications from students who have not had the chance to develop a credit history, so there is no need to worry about that. In some situations, we will ask for a guarantor in these situations. I would definitely suggest that you apply. The application does not affect your credit score, and even if you are approved, you are under no obligation to take the loan at that point. If you do want to apply, you can do so at http://bl.financemyfuture.co.uk

Hi.
I was wondering if you had any advice for me about my living costs. My maintenance grant is much less than my yearly living cost at my accommodation. I’m worried about paying extra and not having the money to pay extra for my rent. I was wondering if there is any advice you could give me because it’s starting to worry me.

Kind regards
Leah Cooper.

Hi Leah,

Of course Future Finance are one potential option. But you might consider checking out the National Association of Student Money Advisers, and if your university has a contact with them http://www.nasma.org.uk/Contacts-Links/Institution-Contacts/ (most universities are listed are U), or we also have a listed of University student support pages on our site https://www.financemyfuture.co.uk/home/student-support/ Either of these should be able to give you some more specific information about what opportunities for assistance or scholarships etc might be available with your university.

Thanks,
Darren

my daughter can only get 3000 government loan and this is not enough to cover her accomadation and tuition can she apply for a loan to cover all this ??? She starts in sept

Hi Stacy, if your daughter is over 18 years old, UK or EU citizen and enrolled in UK university – she can apply for a loan with us. We will assess the application and if it is successful we will provide her with a no-obligations quote for a loan.

Regards,
Future Finance team

My daughters maintenance loan for her nursing course does not even cover her accomodation fees so need to top up with private loan her course is for three years do I ask for a loan to cover all three or does she get a loan every year

Hi Andy,

She can apply for a loan each year and top it up as necessary 🙂

I recently received a letter from the government which says that they are able to give me finance only for the 2 years of the 3 because I had a qualification in Greece before I move here. As you probably understand I am not able to attend the university if I dont get the whole amount. In addition to this my university knew about my previous qualification but they never mentioned a possibility of not getting the whole loan. Please let me know what I can do

Hi I am starting uni in September as a nursing student and although the NHS fund my tuition and give me 12 instalments adding up to £1000, as well as my student loan coming back with the government agreeing to finance me £2000 this doesn’t cover my rent at all – cheapest accommodation was £6000 – on top of this I have been informed by the university that is it unlikely that nursing students will be able to maintain jobs alongside the course due to the unpredictable hours we will have to do via placements throughout the year. I understand that they evaluate this on parents income and expect my parents to support me but mine will be unable to afford or assist me in this sum. Do you know what I am entitled to or what others in my position do? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Katie,

Unfortunately that is a situation that many student (particularly in healthcare) face.

Future Finance is a specialist student loans provider that can help fund your living expenses (and tuition fees) so that you can get back to helping people.

An application is non-obligatory, completely free and wont affect your credit score – http://www.futurefinance.com

Hope this helps 🙂

Hi i started uni in september 2016/17 i applied for student finance as home student but unfortunately i wasnt able to get the student finance as a home student because they said 27 days are missing to conplete the 3 years in uk, they suggested me to apply as EU student which i am only in title for the tution fees and not any help for living cost or maintenace. I am finding myself in a very hard situation to pay for my living cost, materials, transport etc..any help will be appreciated!
THANKS
YESSICA.

!!

HI Yessica,

Thanks for getting in touch 🙂

We often fund students that are ineligible for Government student loans. We can help with tuition costs and const of living expenses to the value of up to £40,000.

The best thing to do is complete an application form at http://www.futurefinance.com.

We’ll be able to take it from there.